KIDS’ WEEKLY LESSONS & ACTIVITIES FROM BECKY
This Sunday we will have one special service at 10am, when Olivet will hold its yearly meeting. This annual meeting is very important, because lots of big decisions are made about how the congregation runs itself for the next year. Since these decisions have such a big effect on the congregation, there is a rule that the meeting can only be held when a large number of adult members, called a quorum, is present. If the quorum should not be met, we would actually have to reschedule the meeting!
Every year our congregation approves the budget, or how we spend our money, and elects members to the church council. The church council is a group of people who meet at least monthly, representing our member’s interests and making church decisions. The council elects a president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. These officers each have important jobs to do for the council.
At the meeting, decisions are made by vote. Most voting is done on a ballot, where people write down what they are voting for. Some voting can be done by raising hands or by voice. When you vote in favor of an issue, you say, “aye.” If you are against the issue, you would say, “nay.” Before voting happens, people can ask questions and make comments.
What kinds of decisions do you think we should make during our meeting? I encourage you to talk about it with other members! If you are not yet confirmed, talk to your caregivers. If you are a confirmed or full member of the church, you can speak with members of the church council, the pastors, the office staff, or me. You can even bring your questions or comments to the annual meeting and express them there!
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for a good year in 2022. Please guide our church members, council members, staff and pastors on Sunday as they make important decisions about the coming year. May we continue to keep your commands to love you and our neighbors firmly in our minds as we come together on Sunday. We pray these things in your son’s name, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
There WILL be a special Sunday school on Sunday, January 29th during Olivet’s annual meeting worship service.
Join Donna, Deb and Karen for crafts, snacks and a movie in the Club 345 classroom!
Body Shop: Important Dates
- Body Shop classes – held on Sundays after the Vine (~12-2pm):
- February 10-12th (Winter Retreat) – Kings, Babylonian Captivity, & Prophets
- February 26th – Psalms
- March 19th – Wisdom
- April 23rd – Job
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner – February 21st 4:45 – 7:15pm. Fundraiser for students thinking about the 2024 ELCA Youth Gathering in New Orleans. Must currently be in 7th grade or above to participate in the gathering. See the High School section for more details.
- Easter EGGstravaganza – March 11th 9-11am. Looking for teens to run crafts & games stations!
- Field trip to join Urban Holistics at Tatum Park – Sunday, March 12th 12pm – ?
- Scrapbooking Fundraiser – April 15th. Come raise funds for our next Camp Storer retreat!
Winter Retreat is scheduled for February 10-12 at Camp Storer. Come have fun, strengthen friendships, and learn about our faith. Permission slips and sign-ups for giving rides have been emailed to parents. If you plan to attend, RSVP ASAP!